Today I attempted to achieve a rite of passage...and failed. You see, my great-grandma Nena made this amazing Chili. She passed it down to my parents, who then gave it to me. I've never made it by myself before, and there's not really an exact recipe, so this was kind-of a big deal. Last night, I put the beans in the pan to soak. (Please excuse blogger--it's insisting this picture is supposed to be vertical even though I upload it horizontal.)
This morning I got up early to turn the stove on to cook the beans (which are supposed to take a couple hours). About an hour later, we woke up to an awful burning smell. Apparently beans need A LOT of water when they cook because they absorb it all. Needless to say, I'm not ready to pass this rite of passage. Hopefully my next try will go better--the ward chili cook-off is only weeks away and I don't think this recipe has ever met defeat!
On another note, this week is rivalry week in our house.
Friday is the USU vs. BYU game. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little scared for the Aggies. But...I'll still cheer for them. Scott and I have a date night planned--I can't wait! Go Aggies!

Go Aggies!! I'll be at the game on Friday, and I'll be cheering extra loud for you!
ReplyDeleteToo bad on the beans. But I'm sure your next try will bring far better results!
ReplyDelete